Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What was it like? A train track?

Alright. My guess is that I'll use the pronoun "you" (or anything like it) to represent at least six people today.

Generally I don't like to get really retrospective. And by really I mean I don't like to go too far back. Like I told you. But just now, as I was thinking about what to say, I realized that even though each individual event/action/movement in my life has led to this point, and even though if I had changed one word that my life could be completely different -- even with all of the philosophy behind that, I still think that there are specific events that, had I made the other decision, my life would be in a completely different spot. Had I picked one house over the other, one set of stairs over the other, one project over the other, one time to be honest over the other. That keeps going, but I'm done.

So I've decided not to speak vindictively, or get defensive. And I'm not turning this into a debate. You win, you lose. End of story.

So that was from a few days ago.

Right now I'm in more of a panic/stress mood. But "Hello" and I was back. "How are you?" and I was okay. Sort of. One more time, please? But in person, please. And I also still feel terrible, so if you could fix that too...
I bet you could.
P.S. The questions were because questions are our thing.

I also want to bet that I could do that easy play at the heart-strings thing for the remainder of this post. Why? Because I think I'm there again. So let's see which metaphorical direction I take this in. And by the way, that's the direction of the metaphor, not a metaphoric direction...
You're not like the moon (this time). On the contrary, you're not drawn into orbit by something bigger and more dominating than yourself. You are your own. I know you are. So stop listening.
That was terrible. I can do better than that.

I'm like a sweater. Just put me on when you need me.
...What the fuck does that mean?

14 comments:

Andy said...

...that was a mess.
...
...kind of embarrassing, actually.

Anonymous said...

the six people thing...i should really just put that at the top of every post.
retrospective - love the word.
the sweater thing makes me think you're letting yourself be used. thats just the way the words hit my head.
I realized that even though each individual event/action/movement in my life has led to this point...wow. you and vriend are on the exact same wavelength. we've been talking bout this for a week now. sort of, pretty much.

you know whats embaressing? i type the wrong password everytime.

Andy said...

even more embarrassing is spelling "embarrassing" wrong when it's right there.

kathleen said...

yeah same here with the six people thing. i rarely ever write a post about just one person - i haven't at all recently.

sometimes i like thinking about where my life would be had i not done something/something had not happened to me... and it always leads me to a place so far from where i would have wanted to be. so the coming back and realizing what my life is is a lot nicer. i'm sure it could go the other way too, but those moments never occur to me.

Anonymous said...

hardly. but oops;)

Abram said...

it makes you sound easy, in a bad way.

Me trying:
I'm like televsion you only use me when your bored/have nothing better to do.

Andy said...

if the tv thing is your interpretation of my sweater thing, then you're looking at it all wrong.
it's supposed to be read more like, "put me on if you need me."

Abram said...

no it was more of a metaphore thing

Andy said...

thank you for pointing out the obvious.
please note: "Me trying"
then read my comment.

hooray!

phil said...

the sweater metaphor made me laugh, because I can see you saying that with both a serious face and a sarcastic-valley-girl/andy face.

claud said...

and if i don't need you, am i supposed to throw you away in my closet or something?

Andy said...

we sweaters prefer being set on the bed. or the dresser.

claud said...

my apologies, dear sweater.

Ryan said...

ok rivers:
mess or no you've made your case
better than your friends
ah they'll catch up soon enough

i'm officially laying out the welcome mat / the wrestling mat; you should be here.

although:
"sarcastic-valley-girl/andy face" - that's fantastic.