The subway sped past my face, so my reflection would come and go before me. It slowed down rapidly, the force of it causing a wind to make me stumble. I regained my balance, placing a foot out to the side to support my weight, before walking forward and onto the subway. A small smile appeared on my face, noticing that there were few people on this train. My head turned in the direction of a pole before walking in its direction in silence. Leaning my back against the pole, the waiting began.
I stared out the window, the people outside faded away like snow in the wind. As the light tarried behind us, my gaze turned to those inside the train. A young woman sat quietly, listening to her CD player. Beside her sat a man, his eyes shut and his head leaning against the window. His eyes opened as a commotion could be heard from the back of the car. A few of the passengers’ voices had been raised and I turned my head and raised a brow.
As the commotion died down, so did the roar of the train. A high screeching noise filled my ears and I shifted my weight onto my left leg to keep my balance. The doors slid open, revealing a whole new world; or just a new station. Keeping my eyes focused ahead, I waited for the train to start again. Lines of people filed off the train, replaced by other strangers. I shut my eyes only for a moment, and when I opened them, the doors slid shut and the train roared once more. Turning back, I could see my reflection come and go with the train.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment