As per usual, I'm here on a night that requires a definite lack of sleep. Why do I do this to myself, you ask? Well... I didn't. I was literally moments away from falling asleep, regardless of my policy of pulling an all-nighter after a certain hour on nights preceding 8:30 classes (to prevent, y'know, sleeping through them), on the curtain of sleep--when the fire alarm sounded.
I know, right?
So I guess it's time to drop some K-bombs*.
On a small town. In Nebraska. Bitches.
...pause to set the mood:
Drugs Or Me (Styrofoam Remix) - Jimmy Eat World
Mood not in the literal sense of the lyrics... but rather to prepare you all for the levels of awesome I will be aiming for tonight.
Step 1. Pop Tarts:
Back in a sec.
...
...
Okay. I'm good to go.
Step 2. Inform you all, once again, that I don't know anything:
This comes with a series of mini-steps, I guess you could call them. Something like discovering that you're mere percentage points away from having to rethink the next three or four or five years, or the jobs you've been looking forward to your whole life are all being eliminated as a result of the recession, or that someone you live with is pregnant and that YOUR WHOLE LIFE GAINED SOME PERSPECTIVE.
Like, actually. What do I have to match up to that? Nothing. And what's more, my entire facade of being ready for the future is shrinking back into the cavernous depths of insecurity and Grades 9-11 from whence it came.
Oh shit. I might not be ready to face the future.
Step 3. Reference something you could be doing that would be a more worthwhile use of your time than reading this:
Screw it. I'll give you a whole list.
- going for a walk
- sleeping
- studying
- marking papers
- writing a resume
- playing with your dog
- planning a summer trip
- organizing your notes
- shopping
- watching Snatch, or any of the Ocean's movies.
- writing your own post
- actually doing your homework
- playing Backgammon
- learning to play Backgammon
- fishing
- defragging your computer
Step 4. Pressing 'play':
At this point, I'm just going to type. And hopefully you all understand the following, much less appreciate the following. I feel as though the things that I used to take pride in, appreciate, make special mention of, discuss, and really have a vested interest in have all sort of shrunk into the background. That is to say that, while growing up is fun, yes, losing the mentality, joys, and even laments of my youth is a totally unappreciated experience. I miss worrying about getting homework assignments done, trying not to be late for homeroom, and generally a lot of what elementary school and high school were about for me. I miss acting, I miss being able to recognize people, being recognizable, having a valued opinion. I think.
I have often wondered if the status I feel I was at was, in reality, accurate. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we refer to as the self-concept. Your self-concept comes from where? You!
WRONG. It comes from everybody else. Of course, right? The way people react to you, treat you, and the things they expect of you determine who you are. Well, who you think you are. Which, in turn, will lead you to become that person.
That's right. Given the right amount of time, setting, people, and resources, I could make any one of you join the KKK. Twisted? You know it!
Step 5. Digestion:
All out of Pop Tarts and the desire to feign intelligent thought. Plus, the sun's coming up, so it's time to retreat to daylight me. What I want to leave you with is this: don't give up on yourself--especially nobody else has. You're not capable of surprising anyone more than yourself.
*that's "knowledge-bombs"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
yeah but where do the people (everybody else) around you come from? The people YOU surround yourself with. yes?
yup superhumans pretty much exist.
couldn't the 11th dimension just be "null" as in nothing at all? Isn't the empty space/lines between the dots already a dimension of its own?
I want to disagree with you on that idea so badly. But I do think it is right to some degree. Abram does have a bit of a point though. We have a choice in who we surround ourselves with.
It makes me think of the nature vs nurture thing. how much of who we are is attributed to what we were born with vs how we grew up.
blah psychology is stupid.
(my apologies to anyone that is majoring in it/actually enjoys it)
i haven't read this post yet.. (except the beginning)
but way to go jonathan. insult the guy that is both majoring in psychology AND enjoys it.
on his own blog.
its what I do. ;)
psych major #2
okay now that i've actually read the post i feel like i actually owe you a real comment... except i don't have anything really worthwhile to say.
BUT i totally understand this: "That is to say that, while growing up is fun, yes, losing the mentality, joys, and even laments of my youth is a totally unappreciated experience." like you said i would...
and...
i'd much rather defragment my computer than read your blog. and i'm not even joking. it's just so amusing watching the red squares get turned to green and then green get turned to white and then red get turned to green and so on.
no, seriously. the self-concept is largely affected by external factors.
that being said, external influence does become less prevalent as you grow older and have an established concept of your aptitude, or whatever the case may be.
however, if you had no experience whatsoever, and i were to tell you that you had the be great at something, say piloting, then you would be more likely to succeed than someone who was just like you, but had not been told they would probably succeed.
terrible explanation, but it's late and i'm tired. HOWEVER, i do have chocolate milk and pop tarts again!
Post a Comment